Monday, September 20, 2010

Poetry: Before We Came to This Place

Before We Came to This Place
by Kathryn Ormosi

Y’know,
I can almost pretend that things are just the way they should be
When I wake up in the morning
I still revel in the last, dreamy bits
of sleep
in that euphoric moment
when the world is fresh
and waiting to be explored again.
Sometimes, I can even make it through breakfast
as the first swallow of coffee
hot and sweet
makes me glad to be alive.
Somewhere around the fifth spoonful of oatmeal
I realize
it tastes like a mouthful of glue.
and that is when
I start to remember.
There will be no exploring, no driving for hours
to find the finest ocean beach
the hidden mountain creek
the tiny yellow flowers in that meadow down south.
I am here.
Captive.
Unless of course, I run the gauntlet
of creatures.
Creatures who, formerly, ate oatmeal
and swallowed great satisfying mouthfuls
of hot coffee and juice and pancakes
around my table.
Creatures who, formerly, smiled
at my indignant reaction
to stories in the newspaper.
Creatures who, formerly, leaned over my kitchen sink
to wash dishes from the last night’s supper.
Of course, then, their eyes were alive with feeling,
for me.
Now they wait outside.
Just watching
for me.
I can’t let them in.
I can’t think about them.
I can’t wish it back.
I can only dream in nightmare worlds
over and over,
of the sweetness
of life
before.

No comments:

Post a Comment