Monday, July 26, 2010

Poetry: On the Night Street & In the Garden of Mrs. McRae

On the Night Street
by Kathryn Ormosi

All I remember is the quickness of the thing
in the dark.
A sickening sweet smell, like three-day old lilies.
The grab upon my wrist was hard
and fast.
An unnatural strength and a sickening crack
of my bone
sent me into sheer panic.
It was only the cover of the book
that came between my flesh and the snap
of those teeth.
Thank god for the policeman.
Who shot it dead. Right through the eye,
which, for one suspended, terrifying moment,
fixed me
with a sadness and ravenous hunger
as it opened its mouth
to die.

In the Garden of Mrs. McRae
by Kathryn Ormosi

I have made a small garden, here in the city.
It’s not much, close here to my back door.
I envy the potatoes, nestled safely
underground.
At the borders,
I have planted marigolds and rue,
to deter malevolent creatures.
At dawn I creep outside
to check the progress
of tomatoes, onions, carrots.
The weeds
threaten
to overrun
my world.
Choking tender plants.
I rip the invaders from the dirt,
furious
with despair.
I am at wits’ end
to keep them at bay,
so that all will not be lost.
As he was.
My young flower, turned poison.
Nothing to be done.
No tears could stop the sickness.
Once it came.
He is over the wall now.
I keep him out
with marigolds and fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment